Friday 27 March 2009

Baby Steps

So you know I've been whingeing on about shingles for months, and how I've ended up with Post Herpetic Neuralgia well its becoming a right pain in the neck. (no pun intended lol)
I have been off work for 3 weeks, the meds I've got make me sleep for 15 hour's a day and I'm getting a bit worried that my training for the Calley challenge has gone down the drain. So on Monday I took my first tentative steps back on the road to recovery. I had a wander round Ashtead Common last week, supposedly just a wee walk, but it was such a beautiful day that I was out for two hours. Who would believe that this is London?

Monday night is a Striders club night. Anne T and I were having our piccy taken in our Calley tee shirts for the local paper, to promote out fundraising events(more about this later). We have to raise 2 grand as a team!!!! bloody hell that's more of a challenge than the event its self. Anyway, the money is for the the Scottish Charities Foundation so that's good.
Back to Monday; It was a really cold night, felt wintry and I was conscious about not over doing it. Just wanted to see if I had lost all my fitness. Didn't go to bad, Lynn was good company. Missed Wednesday training due to the weans performance in the Little Mermaid. Yesterday I spent the day clearing out cupboards and gutting out rubbish. Great how you can clear your head at the same time. So last night in a howling gale and hailstone blizzard I headed back out. I was just planning to get some air in my lungs, but I felt great, knee good, hip good, back good and Martha in my ear. Magic!! Ran four and a bit miles and was buzzing that it was easy. Confident I can get back to running some decent mileage. Maybe the Calley is not a lost cause after all.

Got an email from Murdo Macdonald last night with the logistic plan for the Fling, cant believe it's so soon. I remember that night when I heard myself volunteering to help out and thinking to myself, D'oh!! I've done it again. I thought I was gonna be making soup and stovies for three hundred, but alas no. Me and Dino are gonna be shacked up together at Bein Glas Farm on timing duties. We will no doubt have our trusty score cards too. You know the ones where we give runners marks out of 10. Extra points for shorts, double points for extra short shorts and good legs lol.

There has been quite a bit of taking the mickey out of Mrs Mac on other blogs in the past few days. I have decided to ignore them, avoid tit for tat and just remind those involved that come June 20th I will be responsible for deciding if you're able to continue on from Auchtertyre Farm. Oooooo I can see massive weight fluctuations for some people. Ahhhhhhhh the power, love it!!

Mrs Mac x

ps, I'm off to Tescos now to buy myself a gymball as per the gaffers instructions. He is requesting video evidence........ eeekk a bit of practice first me thinks lol.

1 comment:

Debs M-C said...

Dario's had me on gymball duty too. He's coming back in three weeks, so best get cracking and stop pretending I've been using it for more than to sit on whilst watching Jeremy Kyle :-)