Thursday 13 May 2010

And The Rest Is History

The Pirates post about natural order got me thinking.

The local authority in which I live is undertaking a huge schools modernisation programme at the moment. It’s been on the go for a few years now.

The school where I spent my teenage years has finally been demolished. All that remains is a smoking pile of rubble. It was used as a decant facility while a number of older schools were rebuilt. Strathaven Academy being one of them, so it meant that my big lanky son attended it for a couple of years. Kind of strange attending parent’s night in your old school.

Anyway, the imminent demise of said educational establishment struck a cord with a former student and prompted the creation on a face book page celebrating the survivors of Ballerup High School.
Now I have been known to spend an inordinate amount of time on that particular social networking site, green dotting until the wee hours of the morning.

My membership of the group has put me back in touch with many an old school friend I had long since lost touch with. I left school and moved away from my hometown with in a month of each other.

I was one of those invisible people at school. Not ultra clever, nor uber delinquent, just sort of flew under the radar. I didn’t go to school discos coz they were always on a Friday and a Friday was a Karate night. God I sound like such a geek. Nae wonder I was invisible.

I got a message the other night from a lad I grew up with and he mentioned an old primary school photo that someone had posted.

Oh no, I thought.
'I don’t want to see it. I’ll stand out like a sore thumb.'

I was always in the back row along with all the boys. Being tall was not much of a laugh when you're 11 or 12.

'No, its ok don’t worry. You’re in the middle row. Ah, but you still might not want to see it.'

Why? said I.

Coz we’ve got the same haircut!!! Remember your Mum used to cut all our hair!?!

OMG I had forgotten all about that, or more like wiped it from my memory. Oh, I shudder at the thought of all those awful school photos.

I think I’ll just keep those school memories locked up where they should be. Firmly in the past ;-)

2 comments:

Davie said...

We need the link. NOW!

John Kynaston said...

Yeh I agree ... you can't write all that and not show us!!