Saturday 1 May 2010

Ultra Deluded

It's amazing how surrounding yourself with people who “do” lulls you in to the belief that maybe you could “do” too

Last year, after the Cally Challenge I remember having a conversation about how I should keep the momentum going and get stuck into the next challenge.
I had deluded dreams about having a crack at RAW. Maybe not all of it, but half should be do'able. What I didn't account for was having a training partner who on the face of it would be ideal for motivating me to get my arse in gear, but who would sooner crack open another bottle of 14.5% at twenty to midnight. Managing 12 miles was my limit last year, broken into two legs. If it wasn't for Big Davie the Polis the last leg would have been shorter.

This year it's the Montane Highland Fling. I've been chatting to lots of club mates, first time flinger's and associated mates who are all buzzing about it. I've even been offered training runs already, ahhh the perils of red wine and Facebook :-)
One leg of a relay does not a potential ultra runner make.

My other half hates running, and runners even more; so I've got nae chance of help there.
I said in my last post I was going to stick to marshalling and my new found status as race director.
But do you know what? I'd like to run a bit more..... further I mean.
How do you do it?
Just get out there and put one foot in front of the other?
Is there more too it than that?
Of course there is. The whole mental side is a biggy for me.
I'm an emotional creature. A wreck if you will. I can cry at the drop of a hat.
I need support that nurtures me along. TTFU doesn't work here. U'uh girlfriend. I need there, there, there.

It's a whole year away plenty time to think about it. I guess in the meantime I either get out there and put one foot in front of the other or crack open another bottle.
What-cha reckon?

Mrs Mac x

6 comments:

Fasting v Feasting said...

I'd train with you...as soon as I get back running that is!

Caroline x

Mark said...

I was going say that we can run out to Troon and back if you want but you don't like TTFU.

Still, if you fancy a run on the beach with someone who has lost most of his fitness give me a ring.

Up the Freaks.

DQ

Tim said...

I'm sure you can do it Lee, it's just a question of not getting psyched by the distance and slowing down or walking if necessary. I think one of the biggest things that helped me lift my mileage was the long runs with a tea and buns break in the middle. Suddenly what would have been a daunting distance just becomes a grand day out! Drop me a line if you fancy any runs on the RAW (in the raw too if you like). ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Lee. I hereby nominate Mr Smith as your training partner. He is very good at subtle TTFU so that you don't actually realise wot he doing till after you finished xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee, here's a suggestion. Why don't we train a bit together, if you can talk me into your "wee run" then we should both be ok for this one! Whaddaya say?

Keith Hughes said...

We could go out for a little stroll some time, interspersed with some running and buns... Its just one foot in front of the other :-) ..