Wednesday 21 April 2010

Having a Highland Hoolie

On Saturday I will rock up to the Montane Highland Fling along with a gazillion other punters and run like the clappers up the West Highland Way.

Ok so I’m only doing one leg of the relay but it’s a big deal for me. I have only ever run a half marathon, on the road and hated every single solitary minute of it.
My Maw and her bright ideas, eh?

The Fling was one of her ideas too. As was my only real experience on the WHW, the Caledonian Challenge last year. Now that was a different story.
Totally unprepared as far as knowledge of the route goes. Not very prepared physically due to my Da having cancer and the various illnesses I suffered but I loved it.
ALL of it even the horrible bits.

So knowing I have covered half of the Way, going backwards in less than 24hrs I’m sure running 13 miles or so should be ok.

We’ve had a bit of a hiccup and had to replace said Maw with a cracking lassie from the club. The volcanic ash cloud is giving us a bit of grief too. Preventing the Pirate from enjoying a leisurely flight up and replacing it with a train journey north and having to drive his motor south again.
So all in all not the best preparation.

My plan?
Arrive, put my gutties on and go like shit off a shovel for as long as I can.

My goal?
To finish in one piece.

My motivation?
The support of my beloved…..
“As a team we may well achieve mediocrity but we're aiming for something far greater....right team!!??”
I'm looking forward to catching up with lots of friends, and esspecially the dancing at the end. Has the makings of tremendous weekend.

Bring It On!!

5 comments:

Debs M-C said...

What leg are you doing? See you Saturday. xx

Anonymous said...

Be aware that if you pass where that photo above was taken, you have "done a Mason" in the navigational sense. Not to be recommended!

Enjoy the day!!

Murdo (MtM)

Lee Maclean said...

Im doing the third leg Debs.

Murdo, that was the point where we arrived and our support crew weren't ready for us.....they had gone for a pint ;-)

Geraldine said...

I am will be waiting for you at Beinglas with a big hug and tent talk

Gx

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

Have a good one! Its 100 x better than a pavement pounding half!