Tuesday 9 September 2008

Zammo says.....Just Say No

As mentioned elsewhere on this blog I have a slight problem.
I am a sucker for volunteering for stuff that I know little or on occasion, nothing about.

Someone must have had a word in Mr Murdo Macdonalds shell like coz he seems to caught wind of my affliction. Cut to the night before RAW, a lighthearted discussion of race organisation and learning from experiences. How good it would be to have a big plate of stovies at the end of an ultra. Much better than pasta "coz that 'll turn to mush". Then, I hear my own voice, "what about a plate of scotch broth..... mmmm that would be lovely" and the deed was done. Mr Macdonald was in there like a dug eatin stew. Next thing I know I've got my diary out and I'm penciling in 25/04/09. I will add the Fling to my list.

While I've been away at RAW some fellow strathaven striders have been out there doing some great things. Tom Wilson (whw) and his old muckcer Alan (Doc) Young are cycling LE-JOG. From what I can gather they are doing the first few days with out motorised back-up, and they lost the itinerary before the start. They will be joined later in the week by John (the coach) McGillvary with his motor. I learned last night from Irene W that they are raising money for a prostate cancer charity and ACT. Irene received a call yesterday from a local lady who offered to double what they raised. Well done guys, enjoy your trip.



Also the infamous Mr&Mrs Smith who embarked on their first 1/2 marathon and 10k respectively, on Sunday. The Smiths had signed up some time ago, but when my dad was diagnosed with a rare bone cancer recently, they decided to try and raise some money. They set a £300 target, which was promptly reached in the first night. The running total is around £1500. Guys I am so proud of you!!


If you ran the WHW this year my Da weighed you at Auchtertyre, he has an Osteogenicsarcoma in his shoulder. A cancer usually found in children and young people and on long bones. He is getting lots of mileage out of this, cracking on that he's been telling us for years he's only 19!!! (hes actually 56). Treatment starts on Monday. Im sure he will be there June 09, scales at the ready, now that he knows how to work them lol.




LLx


4 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

We've already had this discussion, Lee but I'd like to be the first person to put it on your blog in writing: My thoughts are with your Dad, you and your family. It's a tough time but I know from our discussions how close you are and that's just what your dad needs to keep his spirits up through his treatment and recovery.....then he can weigh you in at Auchtertyre in 2009. xx

ianbeattie1 said...

Can I just echo Dave's comments Lee - good luck to your dad for his treatment, and I look forward to being weighed by him at Auchtertyre next June. Best wishes Ian

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I don't look forward to being weighed at Auchtertyre by anyone as they will see what a fat b@$tard I am, but you know that my, and the all the Family's, thoughts and prayers are with your Dad, you and the rest of your real Family.

You shouldn't be making Broth, you should be in the Fling you lazy git!