Monday 8 March 2010

Ups and Downs

I think I painted myself in a pretty bad light in my last post. I’m not usually someone who parties hard all weekend. Honest. I like nothing better that curling up on the sofa with nice bottle of red, a big bag of kettle chips and watching a movie with my beloved. Circumstances have conspired against us in the past couple of weeks and have halted any such notion of domestic bliss.

This week I have redeemed myself, well sort of. My new Brook’s have been well and truly broken in. They are most definitely not shiny white any more.

Saturday was the Striders 2nd annual cross country event, and my first. A club event, open to friends and family. At a quid for members and two for friends you cant go wrong.

There were two options; a short route and a long. I offered my services during the week thinking we always need marshals and was told “I’d prefer it if you ran” ok no probs.

I arrive at the village hall nice and early and chat with the assembled Striders. There are 60 people ready for the start line and there is quite a buzz. It’s a perfect day for it, like spring has truly sprung. It is only now I learn that of the 60 people registered only 6 of us are doing the long route; and the 5.5 miles I thought it was is actually 6.5. I really should pay attention.

It has been about four years since I’ve worn a Striders vest, apart from the Caley Challenge, I couldn’t tell you the last race I took part in.

I just don’t have that competitive streak any more. Years of spending my weekends at Karate competitions knocked that right out of me.

I was looking forward to taking part, and called the Pirate for some words of encouragement.

“Attack the race, no holding back. None of that namby pamby nonsense. Take them out, but don’t set off too fast” he then went into some sort of gobbledy gook about oxygen debt. Yeah yeah like I’d ever be going fast enough for that.

It was a crackin run. I loved every minute of it. A proper hard core route that went something like this.

Down, up. Into a field, down, cross the river, up. Over a stile into another field, down, cross the river, up, back down. Cross the river, up, down, run beside the river. Scramble on your hands and knees up an embankment. Up, down, up, up, up finish!!

You’ll have noticed there are quite a lot of ups and down’s….. Well it’s not called the Avon Valley for nothing!

I’m delighted to announce I was 3rd lady. Well there were only 3 of us, but it sound’s good.

I still felt strong at the end which pleased me greatly, coz I had a night out with the girls to see Hormonal Housewives to prepare for and a pair of killer heels to wear. The price we pay for glamour ;-)


Mrs Mac x

1 comment:

Keith Hughes said...

That sounds like a great tun - and such a great description !!