Tuesday 15 September 2009

Write Up Re RAW 2009

Slightly different preparation for this years RAW. The Pirate demonstrated that he does in fact possess will power and restricted his intake of dark coloured liquid with a white foamy head to only three pints. Early to bed and up bright and breezy to pickup Rosie Bell and Irene Wilson.

Arrived in Glenbuck in plenty of time. Greeted by the sight of half a dozen blokes lined up indulging in some synchronised wee weeing. What a sight. Met many family members and soaked up the atmosphere. Good to see the Downies, with wee dug. Stan ‘the nicest man in the world’ Bland. Davie and Sharon, bouncy and smiley as ever. Notable for their absence was the WHWR Royal family, the Queen and the Princess. Talk of being stuck behind horse boxes etc didn’t wash as we all know it was down to forgetting his makeup case and the light not being flattering enough ;-)

I am delighted to announce that Louise, the race director, has graduated from a folded bit of paper in her back pocket to a real live clipboard. East Ayrshire Leisure are safe in the knowledge that any thing is possible when you give a lassie a clipboard. Although she had a wee problem with a few walkers missing a checkpoint and eventually being located in a pub. I think the Pirate may have influenced this misdemeanour.

Tea was taken at Kames, even a bottle of WKD was procured, eventually. These new licensing laws have really dented Stans habit for alchopops at 9.34am.
A loose plan of where to offer support was made and subsequently lobbed out the window. The princess and I made the fatal error of following the Race Director without actually knowing where she was headed. An unscheduled visit to Cumnock meant we had to take a rather long detour to make the first checkpoint…… we failed! Well we did meet Irene and Rosie but they weren’t our intended victims.

Roared off down the country lanes of East Ayrshire to reach the village of Sorn. Drama Queen was first to arrive, none to happy that the Princess had nipped of to the ladies room and was not on hand to tend to his every whim. A theme that was to be developed throughout the race. The Pirate was fed and watered and sent off on his merry way. Next stop Failford. A village wae a pub that offers great beer. A light lunch and a half pint of something tasty was panned, but thwarted. Dino the Princess advised there had been a major accident and the road was closed. I was hoping to run for a bit from here, so when I arrived and Big Davie the Polis offered to park my car I jumped at the chance. Quickly got changed and trotted off with the Pirate for a bit. Was really enjoying it, even thinking about carrying on til the end when I remembered I had Davie Bells car key. I had to abandon himself and head back. Being met by the Big Glesga Polis was magic. A big mooth fae a watter and I was gibbering like a budgie.
My next stop was Tarholm Bridge, this bridge hold a very special place in my heart. I planned to meet the Pirate there and was hoping to run with him again for a while.

Got a call form Davie Bell to say he'd pulled out at Stair and could I pick him up. Eeeek, I really wanted to be there as the Pirate arrived. Jumped in the motor and satnaved my destination and raced there and back in double quick time. God love my Maw and Da, they had driven down to see how it was all going, I gave my Maw my keys and sent her off to the finish with my car. Pirate boy and I ran the last section together. Not much chatter but it was nice. It was as we approached the last stretch when Mrs Mac came to the rescue. I’m not known for my map reading or navigational skills, especially if being driven at break neck speed. but put me on a long distance track moving at a more leisurely pace and I'm dynamite. Picture the scene-

We just go over this bridge and follow the river for a bit.

Ok, that sounds grand.

Right this way, follow me.

Eh, Dave this is a source to sea route.

Yes, I know.

Then shouldn’t we be following the flow of the water?

Mmmmmmm oh yeah, maybe your right (with a hint of I think your talking shite)

Oh look, there’s a RAW post pointing this way…..

And this guy used to drive tanks for a living. God help us all ;-)

So it’s all over for another year. More than a dozen of us stayed for some dinner and a few drinks. Nice end to a great day. Didn’t get chatted up by a one armed man this year but no too disappointed. Met up with the Royal couple on Sunday for a walk on the beach and an afternoon in a beer garden. I could get used to this.

I’d put this event on your things to have a go at. It’s a lovely event with good organisation and great banter. Go on, you know you want to.

Mrs Mac x

1 comment:

Loon Dod said...

I got lost 4 times last year so good on you for keeping the man right, imagine a pirate that cant find his way to the sea FFS.